Experience the John Bunyan Boat
New Public Cruise Guide available to download
John Bunyan community boat launches our new cruising season with familiar cruises on Thursday to Cardington and Sunday to Kempston, whole host of different music cruises covering our popular Jazz and Motown & Soul cruise, this year we be joined with Irish Music cruise from Inis Eire.
A cruise on the river gives you a completely different view of the town. Even people who’ve lived here all their lives see something new! Now is the time book a trip on the boat and enjoy the sunshine and calming waters of the river. It is hard to improve on a peaceful and tranquil meander through the countryside around Bedford or enjoy views of the town and Embankment from a new vantage point, whilst taking refreshments from the galley. Watch the world go by and spot a kingfisher or two. Admire the historic bridges and buildings on the water’s edge. Or party as the world floats by!
During the school holidays we have something for the family, our popular EyeSpy cruises along the Embankment spotting the landmarks along the river. New this year is a couple of Family History cruises how the Saxon, The Vikings & Danes, Normans, and John Bunyan all shaped Bedford as we see it today, brought to life by Alasdair Bright co-author of “The Bedford Chronicles” and illustrator of our EyeSpy cards.
For those after something special join us on our Afternoon Tea cruise in conjunction with Mercure Bedford Centre Hotel and our monthly 3 1/2 hour cruise to Great Barford on our Anchor Lunch Cruise.
This year we are looking to run a number of Special Event cruises;- Curry Evening cruise, Gin Tasting and not forgetting we will be at the Bedford River Festival this year.
- To protect other passengers and our volunteers who crew the John Bunyan Boat, by wear a face covering when boarding and disembarking or moving around the boat
- Passengers must arrive 15 minutes before departure time. Bookings close 36 hours before cruise start time. You can still purchase a ticket on board, subject to availability, but not book food.
- All cruise times approximate, dependent on river conditions and time spent going through locks.
- If the river is in flood, cruises will be re-routed or cancelled and alternative dates or refunds will be given. Please check the latest news before you leave. If you have not pre-booked, please check our website for last minute changes.
- Family tickets are for two adults and two children under sixteen.
- Concessionary rates are available to pensioners, students and people with disabilities. Documentary ID / Proof will be checked on boarding.
- Concessionary rates and children rates are not available on all our cruise see individual cruise descriptions.
- Passengers are not permitted to consume their own alcohol or food on board public cruises.
- To protect passengers privacy and reduce the risk of COVID, passengers booked together on a cruise. We will endeavour to sit them together in same group of up to 4 passengers per table and not mix passenger from different bookings on the same table.
- Booking a cruise in advance the minimum number of tickets that can be booked is two.
- We can reserve provisional places on our public cruises for groups of over 10 people for up to 30 days. Please call our booking line on 07861 620 520 for group bookings only.
- Any problems with your booking email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking Terms & Conditions
Public cruise terms & conditions can be download here.
John Bunyan Public Cruises
The latest Public Cruise brochure is available for download.
Public Cruise Departure Points
To find our departure points, view our departure point web page.
We’ve just done the curry night cruise. A superb couple of hours along the Ouse.
The food was superb. We’ve eaten in the restaurant a number of times... read more
July 14, 2022
Spent a great afternoon on a Soul Cruise with a few friends. Both the DJs were excellent and play a great mixture of Soul tunes enjoyed by everyone on board... read more
August 1, 2019